Re: I would like to give my congradulation

Walt L. Williams wrote:
Greetings all

I just made the move from SuSE 10.3 to Debian Etch.

When I updated from SuSE 10.0 to 10.3 I found myself disgusted at how unpolished and rough it was. Things that worked before didn't after the update. XMMS was gone, I couldn't play MP3's, the online update feature was broken, and even Audacity (an audio editor) appears to have been setup so it wouldn't read in MP3 files. (This is how I convert the MP3 files I get a hold of to OGG's.)

Debian Etch is by far better polished than SuSE 10.3.
And as I have tried out previous Debian versions I must
say that Etch is the best version of Debian yet. Even with the apparent license paranoia over the Acrobat reader and Firefox. (Both Free mind you) Although, there might be more to this than I am aware of. (One request though. I prefer KDE and it would be nice to have the option of which GUI I would like to use, as it took a bit of hoop jumping to get the system loaded with KDE.)

Overall  --  Great job Debian Developers!!!!!!!!!
Keep it going

Walt
in Boulder, Colorado

(I wouldn't mind joining the effort once I get through a few more of my comp science classes.)

(Message written with Kmail)

Hello,

But you DO have a choice on which GUI to install. It depends on which install CD or DVD you download. There is an 180MB CD ( called netinst as far as i can remember ) that only offers the basic system, with no GUI and no Login Manager. After you get that CD installed, you are free to install whatever you want, assuming you have a working internet connection!
Take a look here:    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/432

BR,

--
Bogdan MARIAN