Re: Debian is losing its users

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:43:37AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 March 2008 11:43:37 pm Wei Chen wrote:
>
> > The search volume for Debian has been continuously decreasing in the
> > recent years, as shown in the search trend statistics of one of the most
> > famous search engines. This indicates that Debian is losing its users,
> > e.g. about 50% in the last 3 years.

Does it matter?  As long as the devs don't abandon the project, those of
us who like Debian will stick with it.  If we are loosing the people who
are pushing for more features, newer versions of software, more frequent
releases to distros like Ubuntu, then we keep the people who like
stable, secure, reliable...   I'm all for that.

> But who is growing at Debian's "expense?"  Other Debian-based distros.
>
> > The Debian team should not focus only on the development and maintenance
> > of a good and stable operating system, but also on the promotion of its
> > products.

Why?