Re: etch: cannot mount usb hd

On 24/03/2008, Jörg Becker <news@elke-joerg.de> wrote:
> No, I don't find any error or warning message about my sdc2, but from
>  device-mapper, in the kernel logs.

>  Mar 19 16:19:41 gandalf kernel: Filesystem "dm-0": Disabling barriers, not
>  supported by the underlying device

This sounds as a harmless warning.

>  Mar 19 16:19:41 gandalf kernel: device-mapper: table: 254:8: linear:
>  dm-linear: Device lookup failed
>  Mar 19 16:19:41 gandalf kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to
>  table

These sound as something wrong, but I don't know anything about the
device mapper, so I'm not sure if they are relevant to your problem.
Have you googled for this errors?  Have you tried to disabled the
device mapper (if nothing depends on it)?

Sometimes it helps to boot from a CD (e.g., Debian installer,
Knoppix), and see what happens with a different configuration.  If the
error is still there you can concentrate on the similarities between
your configuration and that of the CD; if the error goes away you
concentrate on the differences.

Regards,
Bernardo