Re: Tunnel iceweasel?

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:46:56AM +0100, Joost Witteveen wrote:
> On 23/03/2008, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:
> >         I'm trying to tunnel an iceweasel instance via ssh from one
> >         of my boxes at my house to remember the name of an add-on i
> >         installed.
> >
> >         The problem is that i create a ssh session (ssh -XC
> >         ssh.psychotik.info), login and run iceweasel at the bash
> >         prompt, which takes forever, but then finally *opens a local
> >         iceweasel!!!*
>
> I suppose that iceweasel -P uniqueprofilename would do what you want?
>
> Also, it's *much* faster use vnc (tunnel through ssh): on the remote
> host, start: vnc4server on your localhost, start (and login to) ssh -L
> 5900:server:5901 server
>
> and then on the localhost (different window) vncviewer localhost:5900
>
> The 5901 portnumer is assuming the vncserver opens a X11 screen on :1.
> When I start epiphany diretly over X11, it takes about 30 min to show
> a page; when I do it using VNC as above, it takes seconds.

I run iceweasel over ssh all the time, however, I don't have it
installed locally so there's no local version to run.  It may take a few
seconds to give the initial window, but then it displays as fast as the
box can swap.  The network is 100 MB/s ethernet, the box I'm sitting at
is a P-II with 64 MB ram, the box I'm sshing into to run iceweasel is an
AMD Athlon64 with 1 GB ram.  It doesn't even take 30 minutes to show a
page when I ssh from my 486 with 32 MB ram so something is wrong there.

Why would VNC be faster if both are encrypted?

Doug.