Re: Tunnel iceweasel?

On 23/03/2008, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi list,
>         I'm trying to tunnel an iceweasel instance via ssh from one of my boxes
>  at my house to remember the name of an add-on i installed.
>
>         The problem is that i create a ssh session (ssh -XC
>  ssh.psychotik.info), login and run iceweasel at the bash prompt, which
>  takes forever, but then finally *opens a local iceweasel!!!*

I suppose that
 iceweasel -P uniqueprofilename
would do what you want?

Also, it's *much* faster use vnc (tunnel through ssh):
on the remote host, start: vnc4server
on your localhost, start (and login to)
 ssh -L 5900:server:5901 server

and then on the localhost (different window)
 vncviewer localhost:5900

The 5901 portnumer is assuming the vncserver opens a X11 screen on :1.
When I start epiphany diretly over X11, it takes about 30 min to show
a page; when I do it using VNC as above, it takes seconds.