Re: windows partition not usable

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 23:15:51 +0100, Hans-Gerhard Schrick wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I have debian etch installed on my laptop.
>
> I have also a windows xp service pack 2 partition. But I made an
> installation mistake, so that at the moment I cannot use this windows
> partition from debian.

Do you mean that you missed the opportunity to let the installer set up
the windows partition in /etc/fstab for you? That can easily be fixed
(see below). If I misunderstand you and you have in fact more severe
problems (e.g. you cannot boot windows anymore) then we need more
details about these problems.

>                        I have tried to change the /etc/fstab, but it
> didn't work.

Post your fstab so that we can have a look.

> What can I do to use the windows partion from debian, as I have all my
> music on the windows partition, which makes sense, as I can normally
> hear my music from linux and windows.

OK, so the problem is really only how to mount the windows partition.

> I don't want to install again.

You don't have to. You just have to tell us how your windows partition
is called under Linux. This will probably be something like /dev/hda1 or
/dev/sda1. If you don't know this, reply to this mail and ask for
directions how to find it out.

> If you can send me an answer, I would be very pleased.

I think this might mean that you are not subscribed to the list and that
you want to be CC'ed in the reply, therefore I send a copy of this
message to you directly. However, if you want to respond with further
information or questions, please send your reply to the debian-user list
and not to my own email address. Some email programs do not have a "list
reply" option, so you might have to use "group reply" or "reply to all"
and switch the "To:" address to debian-user manually.

You probably already know that you can follow discussions on the list by
reading the archive:

If you find that your email program makes it difficult to reply to the
list properly, then you can have a look at the Gmane web interface:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user

You will see an overview of the current discussion topics on the list;
your message and this reply are in there in a separate "thread". You can
continue the discussion via Gmane simply by selecting a message and
using the "--Action--" -> "Followup" menu in the top right corner.  This
will give you a web form to compose and send your reply.

          Florian   |