Re: problems booting

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 05:14:44PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:57:30PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> >
> >>I'm building a server based on an Asus M2N-LR mobo, a 3Ware 9550SXU RAID
> >>card, 8 gigs of ram and a dual core Opteron.  The hard drives are all
> >>sata Raptors with 4 of the 5 drives in a RAID 10 array.  I'm running Etch.
> >>
> >>The problem I'm having is an intermittent one with booting.   I will
> >>quite regularly get a message that the root file system cannot be found,
> >>as well as files such sbin/init and /etc/fstab.  Here is the most
> >>specific error: mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed.
> >>Just before those messages it says kinit is looking at sda5 for a resume
> >>image but cannot find it.  I'm then dumped into a shell after the boot
> >>process fails.
> >>

> >Use either LABEL or UUID.  This gets covered on this list at least every
> >couple of weeks.
> >
> Well, that was a huge help.  You cut out the part of the message where I
> say I don't really understand the rules syntax and just give me
> variables.  It doesn't do a whole lot for me.  If I understood the
> syntax I'd have already written my own rules and wouldn't have asked for
> help here.
>
> And, btw, I have 81,000+ messages from this list on my machine going
> back more than a year.  If my reading of them had helped me understand
> this well enough to write my own rules I'd have done it.
>
> Guess I'll just look for help elsewhere.

Sorry to piss you off.

My advice is to forget udev rules and accept that device names will
change.  Then, either add a label to each filesystem with the
appropriate tools (e.g. tune2fs) or look in /dev/disk/by-id to get the
UUID for the appropriate disk partition.

Then, whenever you refer to a device name, e.g. /dev/sda1, you would use
LABEL=[label] or UUID=[UUID].

I can't give you an example from my box because its using LVM over raid1
which means I'm using e.g. /dev/mapper/mirror-root

Now, if you have a way of searching those 81,000 messages you can look
up the "LABEL=" string.  If not, use google with site=debian.org.

There may even be a howto on the debian wiki.

There are man fstab, man mount.

Unfortunatly, it seems that man bootparam hasn't been updated.

I hope this puts you both on the right track and into a better frame of
mind.

Doug.