Re: problems booting

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 10:57:30PM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
I'm building a server based on an Asus M2N-LR mobo, a 3Ware 9550SXU RAID card, 8 gigs of ram and a dual core Opteron. The hard drives are all sata Raptors with 4 of the 5 drives in a RAID 10 array. I'm running Etch.

The problem I'm having is an intermittent one with booting. I will quite regularly get a message that the root file system cannot be found, as well as files such sbin/init and /etc/fstab. Here is the most specific error: mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed. Just before those messages it says kinit is looking at sda5 for a resume image but cannot find it. I'm then dumped into a shell after the boot process fails.

Use either LABEL or UUID.  This gets covered on this list at least every
couple of weeks.

Doug.

Well, that was a huge help. You cut out the part of the message where I say I don't really understand the rules syntax and just give me variables. It doesn't do a whole lot for me. If I understood the syntax I'd have already written my own rules and wouldn't have asked for help here. And, btw, I have 81,000+ messages from this list on my machine going back more than a year. If my reading of them had helped me understand this well enough to write my own rules I'd have done it. Guess I'll just look for help elsewhere.