Re: how to use promise fastTrak 378 with IDE disks?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 20:33:50 +0000, michael wrote:
> I've a Asus A8V mobo which has a Promise FastTrak 378 controller,
> nominally for RAID but I can set it to 'IDE mode' in the BIOS. MS WinXP
> will then see the 2 IDE disks connected to it. However, when I boot into
> Debian etch (kernel: 2.6.18-5-amd64) I cannot see these 2 disks. I've
> looked about and tried a few things which haven't helped so I was
> wondering if anybody on here had such a system working?

I think this controller is supported by the sata_promise module. Please
run "lspci -nn" and verify that the controller has the vendor-ID 0x105a
and the device-ID 0x3373. (This should show up as "[105a:3373]"; post
the relevant lines here if you are unsure how to interpret them.)

The next thing to check is which (s)ata modules are loaded; to do this,
run:

lsmod | grep ata

If you don't see sata_promise listed then you should try this command as
root

modprobe -v sata_promise

and also this one (right after boot) for more diagnostics:

dmesg | grep ata

Post the output of all these commands and all error messages (if there
are any) here.

          Florian   |