Re: Any R users out there? [SOLVED]

andy wrote:
Hello

I am trying to import an *.xls spreadsheet into R. I am doing this as follows:

> read.table(file("A5_DL.xls"))

But obtain the error:

Error in type.convert(data[[i]], as.is = as.is[i], dec = dec, na.strings = character(0)) :
invalid multibyte string at '?????'

So I copied it all over to a text document and tried to import that, thus:
> read.table("A5.txt")

The error I got then was:

Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings, :
line 26 did not have 34 elements

Having gone over the line in question, it all seems to be the same as any other row. I really don't want to have to manually re-enter the data (some 98 rows x 26 columns).

Can someone advise me on what I am overlooking here please.

Thanks

Andy

No worries - all fixed. Saved as a *.csv and could import it like that.