how to use promise fastTrak 378 with IDE disks?

I've a Asus A8V mobo which has a Promise FastTrak 378 controller,
nominally for RAID but I can set it to 'IDE mode' in the BIOS. MS WinXP
will then see the 2 IDE disks connected to it. However, when I boot into
Debian etch (kernel: 2.6.18-5-amd64) I cannot see these 2 disks. I've
looked about and tried a few things which haven't helped so I was
wondering if anybody on here had such a system working?

Thanks again, Michael