Re: Merging all 30+ Debian CD's onto hard drive

On 3/20/08, Michael Paulsen <mtp5150@gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian Etch now has over 30 CD's. I'm bored with CD swapping every
> time I want to install a new package. Is it possible to merge the CD's
> to my hard drive and direct APT or DPKG to use the hard drive instead
> of all the CD's when installing new packages? What would the be the
> easiest way to do this?

mount /cdrom
cp -R /cdrom .
umount /cdrom

Repeat.

You can use dpkg directly on the archives, of course, but you can also
tell APT to use a
file:/ resource in /etc/apt/sources.list.  See man sources.list for
more information.

Sure copying the CDs over and over again will overwrite some files,
but none of those files
will be Debian packages.  They would be README.html and things like that.

Tom