Re: kinit/resume - what's it mean? how to boot from failed sys??

On 3/20/08, michael <cs@networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:

> Hands up to making a mistake - I've been trying to get my AMD64
> Debian 'etch' box to recognise a Promise controller and thought that
> installing dmraid would help. I did a
> apt-get install dmraid
> and then rebooted... only to find it in BusyBox with a initramfs
> prompt and no idea as how to recover to a working system...

> Any ideas? I'd guess rebooting somehow without these scripts and then
> removing dmraid would return me to a wokring system but I'm unsure
> how to do even this!

Okay, to recover a system that doesn't boot properly, you can use the
installation media, such as a Debian etch install CD.  Instructions
here:
| http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s07.html.en

You can also make a boot floppy with the mkboot command, I think, once
you have your system booted.

If you lack boot media you can get it from here:
| http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
Just the floppies will do if you happen to be on dialup.

Let me know if this helped.

Tom