Re: kinit/resume - what's it mean? how to boot from failed sys??

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 04:37:36PM +0000, michael wrote:
> Hands up to making a mistake - I've been trying to get my AMD64 Debian
> 'etch' box to recognise a Promise controller and thought that installing
> dmraid would help. I did a
> 	 apt-get install dmraid
> and then rebooted... only to find it in BusyBox with a initramfs prompt
> and no idea as how to recover to a working system...
>
> I can see it's trying to run some /scripts and then kinit does something
> before attempting to 'resume' and saying there is no resume image then
> trying a normal boot but saying it can not read the image (then many more
> lines of complaints but am unsure how to copy to another machine)

maybe setup a serial terminal to allow capture of the session.

> Any ideas? I'd guess rebooting somehow without these scripts and then
> removing dmraid would return me to a wokring system but I'm unsure how to
> do even this!

best bet is probably to boot a live-cd and chroot into the system and
attempt to fixup from there.

At a guess, you're initrd can't find / in the real system. You *might*
be able to get it mounted from within busybox and then `exit` to get
it to continue the boot. But the tools are pretty limited and it
requires a goodly bit of poking around to see exactly what the problem
is...