Re: kinit/resume - what's it mean? how to boot from failed sys??

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 16:37 +0000, michael wrote:
> Hands up to making a mistake - I've been trying to get my AMD64
> Debian 'etch' box to recognise a Promise controller and thought that
> installing dmraid would help. I did a
> 	 apt-get install dmraid
> and then rebooted... only to find it in BusyBox with a initramfs
> prompt and no idea as how to recover to a working system...
>
> I can see it's trying to run some /scripts and then kinit does
> something before attempting to 'resume' and saying there is no resume
> image then trying a normal boot but saying it can not read the image
> (then many more lines of complaints but am unsure how to copy to
> another machine)
>

> Any ideas? I'd guess rebooting somehow without these scripts and then
> removing dmraid would return me to a wokring system but I'm unsure
> how to do even this!

Thanks for the ideas (eg using liveCD etc)... in the end from initramfs
I created /tmp/boot, told dmraid to not activate, and then mounted the
(known) /dev/hdaN partition as /tmp/boot and renamed the errant
(non-working dmraid)  initrd.img-${KERNEL} to ${WHATEVER} and renamed
the initrd.img.${KERNEL}.bak (that presumably dmraid had created) to
initrd.img and did a reboot so it picked up the old, working initrd
image and away I went to the working system (then apt-get remove dmraid)

ta, again, Michael