Re: Using Exim

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 06:57:52 -0400
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Wed March 19 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Stop now!
> haven't started yet, just getting info/background/knowledge:)
>

> > Setting up mail services by fumbling in the dark has the very real
> > potential to make your mail server a spam vector.  Before
> > continuing, I strongly reccommend, at the very least, reading
> > through Wikipedia about SMTP and other email related protocols, and
> > familiarize yourself with the documentation for the MTA you decide
> > to go with.
>
> I understand SMTP/POP a bit, I used to run *NIX boxes for a company,
> back  before internet, when we had slow dialup...
>

> > Once you've done that and have some basic understanding of the
> > mechanics of email, it should become a little more clear what you
> > need to do and what you need to avoid to set up a mail server
> > without becoming a spam relay.
>
> I understand security concepts, that is one reason i switched to
> linux, I also  know about relays. My own ( former) ISP blocked my smtp
> mail when I was not  in their network ( working away from home, trying
> to send mail). I also  switched ISPs & mail hosts because one of them
> ( ISP Bellsouth) was blocking  any email to/from my domain hosts. I
> couldn't get that issue resolved in 2  weeks, so I dropped them.
>

> > > I have my own domain, and I have it hosted. What would I need to
> > > run, besides my kmail, to receive and send mail from my Debian PC,
> > > hosting my own domain? I keep hearing about postfix, sendmail,
> > > exim...
> >
> > Exim is the default in Debian, and the one I suggest you go with
> > unless you want to set up some kind of groupware like Kolab (in
> > which case, go with what it depends on or recommends).  Exim is
> > pretty straightforward and relatively easy to work with.
>
> thanks! Since I am new to Debian ( a few years running SUSE..) I
> wasn't  familiar with exim, but I'll take a look! I'll take a look
> wikipedia and  exim, I appreciate the info!

While you're at it, give Postfix a once over as well. It can do the
above scenario quite easily (Still needs Fetchmail or similar to get the
mail down from the ISP) as well.
IMO (coming from managing windows servers to Linux) , Postfix is easier
to configure than Exim or Sendmail (lets not start a which is better war
here) and all required components of Postfix is available in Debian
Stable (Etch) for various setups (LDAP plugins, MySQL plugins, etc.) so
its hassle free to set it up as well (no need to compile sources with
custom configurations).

Mihira.
--
"Not many people know when love really starts...
More than a friend, but not quite lovers.