Re: Using Exim

On Wed March 19 2008, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Stop now!
haven't started yet, just getting info/background/knowledge:)

> Setting up mail services by fumbling in the dark has the very real
> potential to make your mail server a spam vector.  Before continuing, I
> strongly reccommend, at the very least, reading through Wikipedia about
> SMTP and other email related protocols, and familiarize yourself with the
> documentation for the MTA you decide to go with.

I understand SMTP/POP a bit, I used to run *NIX boxes for a company, back
before internet, when we had slow dialup...

> Once you've done that and have some basic understanding of the mechanics of
> email, it should become a little more clear what you need to do and what
> you need to avoid to set up a mail server without becoming a spam relay.

I understand security concepts, that is one reason i switched to linux, I also
know about relays. My own ( former) ISP blocked my smtp mail when I was not
in their network ( working away from home, trying to send mail). I also
switched ISPs & mail hosts because one of them ( ISP Bellsouth) was blocking
any email to/from my domain hosts. I couldn't get that issue resolved in 2
weeks, so I dropped them.

> > I have my own domain, and I have it hosted. What would I need to run,
> > besides my kmail, to receive and send mail from my Debian PC, hosting my
> > own domain? I keep hearing about postfix, sendmail, exim...
>
> Exim is the default in Debian, and the one I suggest you go with unless you
> want to set up some kind of groupware like Kolab (in which case, go with
> what it depends on or recommends).  Exim is pretty straightforward and
> relatively easy to work with.

thanks! Since I am new to Debian ( a few years running SUSE..) I wasn't
familiar with exim, but I'll take a look! I'll take a look wikipedia and
exim, I appreciate the info!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800