NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP/WIN_WORKSPACE

I'm trying to figure out how to put lines in .xsession such that
specific apps are started on specific virtual desktops on X startup.

The xprop command returns values for both NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP and
WIN_WORKSPACE that are the number of the current virtual desktop,
starting with 0 for the first. What is the difference in the meaning of
these two variables that both apparently reference the current virtual
desktop?

What syntax would be used to start a specific app on a specific virtual
desktop? For example, starting iceweasel on desktop 2 whenever the X
server is started. Can I somehow use WIN_WORKSPACE(2)?

I'm running icewm on one machine and fluxbox on another, neither with
any desktop manager. Years ago I had tried to configure icewm to start
specific apps on specific virtual desktops and eventually gave up, and
now once again am looking into it for fluxbox.

Can fluxbox do what I want to do? If so, is there any reason to have
fluxbox do it rather than .xsession? What kind of line would go into
~/.fluxbox/init to do it?

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM