Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 05:14:45PM -0700, joseph lockhart wrote:
> take it as you will, but I think that it would be
> useful to group the terminal and lightweight apps
> together, just seems a waste to download (25 for etch)
> disks to install onto a low powered computer, when
> everything together would all fit on one disk (that is
> base system and all terminal apps that I wanted). It
> would seem that grouping these together and labeling
> them would save many people a great deal of hassel.
>
> along the same note, grouping programs by function may
> also help relieve some of the burden, as well as a
> functiont that allows searching packages to see what
> is on each disk before downloading it.

I agree that just as there is a gnome-based installer and a KDE-based
installer, it would be nice to have _one_ CD that gave me:

base
mc
lynx
exim-light
icewm (or I'd be interested in trying fluxbox or openbox)
links2
sshd + ssh
rsync
tar
man pages
pinfo

Which is basically what I have on my P-II.

My really low-powered (and boxes with less than 1GB drive space)
run OpenBSD with the same apps (much faster).

The current method of grouping by popularity only works for people who
match the profile of the majority.  I never have.

Doug.