Re: Question about Desktop Environments

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 07:05:30PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/17/08 12:38, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >> Enjoy teaching her LaTex while she's at it.  May as well get her away
> >> from "word" into a real system.
> >
> > this is not necessarily as inappropriate as others have
> > suggested. *My* mother (wild generalizations based on one anecdotal
> > case follows...) would likely greatly appreciate a CLI based
> > editor. All totalled, she has probably processed 10x more words in WP
> > 5.1 or so than in all the gui editors combined. Its highly likely that
> > an older person may be more comfortable in that environment just from
> > past experience. I should probably talk to her about that and see if
> > she wants to move "back" to something like that...
>
> e3 and joe emulate WordStar, if she's *really* old-school.

Good'ol mc with mcedit are great.

My dad would be quite at home in front of my VT520; he hasn't been here
since I bought it.  I remember going to his work (insurance
underwriter) when I was a kid; I remember all the green-screens.

Then again, he did math on a Facit mechanical calculator.  Long division
was fun on that!

Doug.