Re: Resume ... Resume ... Resume ...

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:18:36AM -0700, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> At startup of Lenny this message appears.
>
> resume: libcrypt version: 1.2.3
> resume: Could not stat the resume device file.
>
> Would seem logical that in absence of a "resume
> device file", startup would simply continue.
> Nevertheless, it waits for <Enter> or the name
> of a file.

you would think...

When did this start? what changed? I would look for the hibernate
package, among others, to remove.

> Is there a recommended solution to this small
> annoyance ... big annoyance for my unattended
> machine?

just because it doesn't find the "resume device file" doesn't mean it
should just boot. If you suspended the machine and then upon
restarting it couldn't find the resume device, you'd want to know
because you have filesystems open and the potential for damage is
pretty high. It makes sense to stop the boot to allow you to diagnose
the issue. So you need to do one of two things -- find out why the
resume device isn't found and solve that problem *or* remove all
traces of whatever system is trying to resume. The latter will include
rebuilding initrd's to ensure that those scripts aren't in the initrd
to be run at boot.

I know this is vague, but hopefully it's a start.