Re: Question about Desktop Environments

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:34:04 -0500
Jonathan Jacobs <stingray761@fuse.net> wrote:

> GNOME and KDE are the ones that I have.  But, is there one out there
> that looks like XP.  I am going to install Debian on my mothers
> computer and she is running...slowly...XP.  Every other comment out
> of my mom, about the computer, is that it is running slowly.  I have
> already removed any spyware and whatnot and I have cleaned the
> reg.  It is about time that I upgraded her pc to Debian.  Just need a
> desktop environment that looks like XP......any suggestions?

Hi there,

First of all let me tell your mother will be extremely happy with Debian...

Then I understand that she will want to use a desktop that she has been familiar with but If you customize a GNU/Linux desktop...it will be a lot easier to use than XP. She does not need to worry about items in the menu tray...complicated UIs...

I suggest start her out with a simple desktop like openbox/fluxbox and customize it for her. It will be extremely fast. She can simply just click icons of the programs that she wants to use and voila thats it. Check out this link and consider it...

http://www.linux.com/feature/128940

Good luck and post back your results...

amit