Re: Allowing users to mount external drive/thumbdrive

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Henry wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  > I've just reinstalled a windows computer with debian today. While I
>  > can add an entry to fstab to allow user to be able to mount an
>  > external drive, it won't allow flexible usage of external
>  > drive/thumbdrive.
>
>  If you are using a recent enough version of debian (etch or later),
>  just adding the user to the floppy group should be enough.
>
>  # adduser <username> floppy
>
>  Next time the user logs in, plugging in an external drive automatically
>  mounts it.
Interestingly, the user is already in floppy group (and plugdev). I
can mount thumbdrive and HFS+ now but NTFS still could not be mounted.
I just installed ntfs-3g, gonna see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for that though.

>  > I realized that Ubuntu allows users to plug just
>  > about anything and have it automatically mounted.
>
>  Funny that you mention this, since I am finding it difficult to disable
>  that 'feature' in Ubuntu. Apparently it is not as simple as removing the
>  user from the floppy group (or plugdev, in case of ubuntu)
Yeah, I've been following that thread too. ;) Can't help there though,
I've tried Ubuntu three times now (in span of more than a year) and
still couldn't make myself liking it at all.

Chris