Re: [OT] Problem restricting user privileges in ubuntu 7.10

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 05:58:55AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
Sorry for the non debian-specific post.

You mean a non-debian specific post.  Why not ask on a Ubuntu list?

Doug.

I have not had much luck with the ubuntu list. Google could not help me either and I needed to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Since ubuntu is almost, but not quite, entirely based on sid, I was hoping someone on this list would have an idea as to how the whole thing works in the background.

As a temporary hack, I disabled the user's access to /usr/bin/gnome-mount. But I suspect it is some bug in the specific version of hal (0.5.9). Neither etch with 0.5.8 not sid with 0.5.10 exhibit this problem. I have compared the conf files of hal in the ubuntu version with those on my sid and etch boxes but there appear no obvious differences. I shall try installing the latest version of hal from sources today and see if it helps.

Regards,
Raj Kiran Grandhi