[OT] Problem restricting user privileges in ubuntu 7.10

Sorry for the non debian-specific post.

I am facing some trouble in disabling user access to external storage devices on a ubuntu 7.10 system. I have created an unprivileged user, 'guest'. The user is not a member of any other group than the default.

$ id guest
uid=1001(guest) gid=1001(guest) groups=1001(guest)

With this setup, I would expect that 'guest' does not have any access to removable storage media like cdroms and usb flash drives. However, when I plug in a usb flash disk while logged in as 'guest', the disk is automagically mounted and nautilus happily displays it contents. Same for cdroms.

I have found that this behaviour is present with both the default install as well as with all security updates installed.

Neither my home computer running sid or the one at work running etch exhibit this problem. In both, I get a plain permission denied error when I try to do anything fancy with external media and I have to explicitly add user to the plugdev group to allow access.

How can I achieve something similar in ubuntu? This appears to be such a trivial issue but I have no clue as to how to go about it.

Thank you,
Raj Kiran Grandhi