Re: [OT] Problem restricting user privileges in ubuntu 7.10

Ron Johnson wrote:

Quoting the Ubuntu README, since if you are running Debian, you will not have it:

--------------------------

The files in this directory are read by udev(7) and used when events
are performed by the kernel.  The udev daemon watches this directory
with inotify so that changes to these files are automatically picked
up, for this reason they must be files and not symlinks to another
location as in the case in Debian.

Files should be named xx-descriptive-name.rules, the xx should be
chosen first according to the following sequence points:

 00   rules that it is critical to be run first, usually
      only WAIT_FOR_SYSFS

 20   rules that change the name from the device from the default
      (cannot be overriden)

 40   rules that set the permissions of device nodes
      (can be overriden by later rules)

 60   rules that add symlinks to device nodes
      (adds to those set in earlier rules)

 80   rules that run programs (but do not load modules)

 90   rules that load modules

 99   rules that it is critical to be run last

This scheme has been chosen so that user-supplied rules are normally
named 50-*.rules for the right thing to happen.

Packages should chose the approriate sequence point and add 5 to it
(e.g. 25-iftab.rules, 45-libsane.rules, etc.) unless there is a need
for a particular order.

see the note under "40".

And that is as much as I know about this.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com