Re: compiz on Debian Sid: jerking video replay

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:43:22PM +0100, Johannes Rohr wrote:

> However, playing videos completely sucks, I always have to change to
> metacity for that purpose. Videos "jerk" (if that is the appropriate
> expression in English), at a frame rate of an estimated five frames
> per second.
>
> I have parallel Ubuntu installs on both boxes. I prefer Debian,
> however, in this case, Ubuntu just works out of the box and Debian
> doesn't. This seems to be completely independent of the X
> configuration. I cannot seen any special tweaks in Ubuntu's
> xorg.conf. Therefore I conclude that Debian's X must in some way be
> different from Ubuntu's.

I would go down the entire chain and check for differences:

- same video (file/disk/whatever)
- same player and especially check the output options and filters (e.g
  Xv seems to behave better on intel than GL, at least on my box)
- I guess you compared xorg.conf, but do the drivers have the same
  defaults? In Debian the intel driver was recently switched from XAA to
  EXA acceleration.

HTH,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)