compiz on Debian Sid: jerking video replay

Dear all,

I have been trying compiz for a while now on two daily updated Debian
Sid installations, one with an NVidia card supported by the
proprietary drivers and one with an onboard graphic chip supported by
the Free/Open Source intel driver, which also has full hardware
acceleration. It works more or less.

However, playing videos completely sucks, I always have to change to
metacity for that purpose. Videos "jerk" (if that is the appropriate
expression in English), at a frame rate of an estimated five frames
per second.

I have parallel Ubuntu installs on both boxes. I prefer Debian,
however, in this case, Ubuntu just works out of the box and Debian
doesn't. This seems to be completely independent of the X
configuration. I cannot seen any special tweaks in Ubuntu's
xorg.conf. Therefore I conclude that Debian's X must in some way be
different from Ubuntu's.

Has anyone made similar experience and maybe even a suggestion on
where to look for solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Johannes

--