Re: Fresh harddisk install of Etch,after the upgrade 3.1/4.0 with apt-get failed.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:07:50AM -0700, alexandre suzuki wrote:
> The upgrade from 3.1 to Etch using apt-get went very bad,now I don?t
> even have access to the system,the login prompt freezes when I do the
> login.Now I?m thinking about doing a hard disk based fresh install of
> Etch.  I have a partition HFS formatted able to do the install from
> it,but the needed files: vmlinux,initrd.gz,yaboot,yaboot.conf I don?t
> know where to find them in Debian website for Etch r3.  I appreciate a
> tip about where to find them.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.  I had problems too (died during
upgrade of libc6) that forced a re-install.

Download the installation manual for your arch or read it online.  Read
it through once.  The section on obtaining media will give you the
appropriate links.

For hard disk install, you'll want the hd-media kernel and initrd and
the netinst.iso.  You can either place them on an existing hard drive or
make a USB stick (instructions in the manual).

Good luck.

Doug.