Re: Mistaken partition and format process

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 05:32:25PM +1100, hce wrote:
> I am partitioning and formating an external HDD. I made a stupid
> mistake, I called "mkfs.ext3 /dev/md0" before calling "fdisk
> /dev/md0". Now it seems that the process stopped at following last
> line "Writing inode tables:   14/1864":

/dev/md0 would be the first raid array.  You have an external drive as
part of a raid array?  I'm not saying that its not useful, I'm just
clarifying.

Without running fdisk to create a partition, you've attempted to write a
filesystem on the whole device.  There shouldn't be a problem with this
so I don't know what the problem is.

Doug.