Re: ogg quality problem with ffmpeg

On 3/8/08, asm4 <asm4@lehigh.edu> wrote:

> the nominal bit rate shown by xmms or mplayer on out.ogg is 0k and
> average bit rate is 41.7kbps

Is the quality (or lack of) extremely noticable? Ogg is variable rate,
and by "VOB" i'm thinking "movie",
where there may be a large variation of sound sources, compared to for
example a music CD.

Then again, it could be an ffmpeg problem. I don't have any ready vobs
here to test. But I routinely dump audio from other sources (such as
avi) and encode those with ffmpeg, but not to ogg, usually a52 because
I do a fair amount of dvd encoding of avi movies.

> i have 0.cvs20070307-6 of ffmpeg and this seems to be the latest
> version. am i doing something wrong? or is there a better way of getting

There's a later version 20071206 but it's in the debian-multimedia repository.