Re: automatix2 and debian 4.0r3

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 06:01:40 -0800 (PST)
hair hut <hair_hut@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I just installed the 4.0r3, and going through apps installations
> reached the point when automatix came in the "game" :) Following the
> instructions from getautomatix.com, I did complete the process.
> Trying to run it from GUI (under application), after asking for the
> dvd rights on US , clicking "yes" should start the automatix2.
> Instead, after checking for the version of the OS, it stops and a
> message comes up. "automatix2 can not find 4.0r0" . which is true
> because the version that I installed was 4.0r3. Please, can You help
> on this problem, or I have to find a older version (4.0r0) that
> automatix2 can work??? if so, when can I find that version??? Thank
> You Art (new debian user)

Simple answer is to not use Automatix on Debian. Keep such trash
software on Ubuntu, where it belongs. Most, if not all, of the things
that Automatix installs and configures can be done by the user, as
long as they do a *little* googling and use the non-free, contrib
sections in the Debian repositories and also use the Debian-Multimedia
repository.

Graham

PS - I'm not trolling. ;)