Re: force kernel panic

On Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 08:43:26 -0600, Sergio Cu?llar Vald?s wrote:
> 2008/3/7, g.digiambelardini@fabaris.it <g.digiambelardini@fabaris.it>:
> >  Hi to all,
> >  I have a problem, I need to test a kernel panic crash, I have an server
> >  Debian 4.0, some body know the way to force, may be to ins a module in the
> >  kernel, a kernel panic?
> >  Thanks in advance

> hahaha, normally people ask how to fix a kernel panic, but to
> reproduce a kernel panic, that is interesting.

  A quick test showed this worked for me:

    cat /dev/zero > /dev/mem

  (Obviously you need to be root to do this!)

  The panic looked like this:

  <0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
  <1>BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffd030
  .. etc ..

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration