Re: force kernel panic

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 01:20:54PM +0100, g.digiambelardini@fabaris.it wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I have a problem, I need to test a kernel panic crash, I have an server
> Debian 4.0, some body know the way to force, may be to ins a module in the
> kernel, a kernel panic?
> Thanks in advance

The ability to force a kernel panic, I think, would be a great attack
vector.

Perhaps tell us why you're doing this.  It may be that any-old kernel
panic won't provide a realistic test for whatever you're doing.

How about giving it the wrong root= on the kernel command line?  Or, do
you mean cause the kernel on a running system to panic?

There isn't anything that _should_ cause a kernel panic; bugs do that.
Bugs should get fixed.  Perhaps search the debian bug-tracking-system
for kernel panic and reproduce on of the bugs.

Doug.