Re: Idea of a Debian Mascot [Was: FW: Bits from the DPL: FTP assistants, marketing team, init scripts, elections]

Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@oi.com.br>:
>  On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 04:38 +0100, s. keeling wrote:
> >
> > Killjoy.  You're right of course, but the ammonite has its charms.
>
>  But due to the ammonite be an extincted mascot, I think it reinforces
>  the general believe out there that debian stable is an "out-of-date"
>  distribution... in the sense it uses a bit older software...

Well, it does; it's Unix-ish, and that's a good thing.  It's also
pretty much the same thing that one of the other market leaders has
enjoyed great success with lately, Apple OS X.

That "Debian runs older software" crap is a myth and a fallacy.  Newer
software is not inherently better than older software.  With each
release come new bugs.  You merely trade the old for the new.