Re: Control-C kills interactive bash

michael wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 16:58 +1300, Lesley Walker wrote:
Never mind... I think I found it. We have this line in /etc/profile:
trap "exit" 2 3 23
If I comment it out the problem goes away. Time for me go and RTFM on
traps.
I think people have been misreading this. It means on signals 2, 3 or 23
then call exit. Signal 2 is SIGINT. Thus your trap is doing the
expected.

Aye, that it is. The difference being that on our Sarge systems (bash 2.05b-26) the trap was presumably only effective until /etc/profile finished executing, because hitting Ctl-C never did that to us before. This was probably considered a bug or incorrect behaviour, and has been changed since that version, and the traps continue in effect under Etch with the later bash.

For what it's worth, I've no 'trap' comment in any of my /etc/profile
files...

Thanks for the input. I suspect most people took it out long ago, and it's not there by default.

 do you really want to close a shell on certain user signals???
Most likely not, I think. The addition of that trap pre-dates my time with the company, and nobody else knows why it's there.

Thanks to everyone who responded,
LesleyW
(unsubscribing now)

--