Re: Exim4 - local mail deliveries

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 21:05:48 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 20:22:12 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>> Since switching to Debian Etch, I no longer get messages (from cron and
>> logcheck) delivered to my user-mailbox. Exim 4 delivers them to the
>> mail-queue in /var/spool/exim4/input; when the queue is emptied, they
>> appear to end up in /dev/null.
>
>The Lenny/Sid version of exim4 has a debconf dialog
> question that lets you *choose between "mbox format in /var/mail"* and
> "Maildir format in home directory".

Etch offers the same choice and this may have been one of my problems.

After switching to mbox format, I can receive

"echo "just a test..." | mail -s "test-local" $USER@localhost"

when run from a "user" terminal.

ziltch for

"echo "just a test..." | mail -s "test-local 2" $USER"

and ziltch if either command is run as "root".

In case it is relevant:

$ echo $USER
felixk

and the only entry in /etc/mailname is the name of the localhost
(carrot.cabbage.patch).

Messages from logcheck continue to be delivered to /var/spool/exim4/input.

The following logcheck header may reveal something:

| 1JX43I-00015E-M3-H
| logcheck 111 115
| <logcheck@carrot.cabbagepatch>
| 1204763620 0
| -ident logcheck
| -received_protocol local
| -body_linecount 266
| -auth_id logcheck
| -auth_sender logcheck@carrot.cabbagepatch
| -allow_unqualified_recipient
| -allow_unqualified_sender
| -local
| XX
| 1
| felixk@carrot.cabbagepatch
|
| 205P Received: from logcheck by carrot.cabbage.patch with local (Exim 4.63)
| 	(envelope-from <logcheck@carrot.cabbagepatch>)
| 	id 1JX43I-00015E-M3
| 	for felixk@carrot.cabbagepatch; Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:33:40 +1100
| 031T To: felixk@carrot.cabbagepatch
| 071  Subject: Reboot: carrot.cabbage.patch 2008-03-06 11:33 Security Events
| 053I Message-Id: <E1JX43I-00015E-M3@carrot.cabbage.patch>
| 061F From: logcheck system account <logcheck@carrot.cabbagepatch>
| 038  Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:33:40 +1100

It is worth flagging that it might now be a "feature" of logcheck to
send its notifications *only* to another computer.

While the posting problems on my box barely warrant the attention that
they have received, I supply these further details in the hope that my
experiences may identify an "exim.config" problem/bug.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)