Re: [OT] Laptop with Linux preinstalled

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:47:39PM -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I thought it would never happen. Right from NewEgg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220246
ASUS Eee PC 4G ? Galaxy Black Eee PC Intel processor 7" Wide VGA
512MB 4GB Integrated Graphics - Retail for only $400!

My wife loves hers.  But be warned, DON'T spill liquid on the keyboard.
My daughter accidentally spilled a glass of water, some of which (I
don't know how much) hit the keyboard.  After several days of drying out
it is mostly back to normal.  It no longer thinks that keys are being
pressed which have not been touched, but the "2", "~" and "DEL" key are
not yet functioning.  I hope they will yet work, but I'm not sure.

There's probably some cleaner you can use that will displace the water
to prevent corrosion on contacts, but I don't know about the membrane
under a modern keyboard: perhaps it gets waterlogged and you need a
hairdryer?

On an old IBM model M, I used contact cleaner to get out hot chocolate.
However, they have actual switches.

Doug.

To clean any keyboard I pop off all the keys CAREFULLY with a flathead screw driver and wipe down all the keys and the base of the keyboard. Please note to put the keys back perfectly onto the base buttons, also keep an image of a keyboard or something in case you forget the keyboard layout.