Re: 8139cp 0000:03:08.0: This (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+ compatible chip

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:07:17AM +0000, Jamin Davis wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>> and the blacklisting won't work if the module is in your initrd! You
>> at least need to run update-initramfs and you would probably be
>> advised to unpack one to make *sure* it's not in there...
>
> Good point. But if the blacklist did work there'd be no need to check
> the initrd :). Yes, of course!

I'm confused now. My point was that if you blacklist a module but the
initrd's haven't been rebuilt, you may still have the module in the
initrd. Honestly, I don't know, without looking, what net modules
might get included in the initrd, but if your initrd's are built with
a "most" modules configuration, it just may be in there. If that
module gets inserted during the initrd phase of the boot, no amount of
blacklisting will do you any good because it's already inserted.

But I'm not fully up on this thread, so I'll bow out now.