Re: [OT] Zip file browsing tool

On 02/03/2008, Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>  I was given a 18GB (yes GB) compressed zip file by a family member, containing all kinds of photos and videos.
>
>  The problem now is they cannot unzip it (using Mac OS X Leopard). The unzip tool always exits with an error.
>
>  Now, I haven't received the zip file yet...still downloading it through scp. So now my question is, can I use the split utility to break these files into smaller pieces and unzip it?
>
>  And also, is there a tool to browse zip files...like how midnight commander is able to browse tar.gz files without decompressing them. From there on, I can just copy the most important files out without having to decompress the entire thing.
>
>  Any ideas or suggestions?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Amit

If you split the zip file, then you will be unable to read the parts.
You can split it, but you need to assemble all the parts to read it.

Konqueror (the KDE file manager) can browse zip archives. But it is
_slow_. I'd let it unzip overnight. You can spend the night punching
whoever created a 18GB zip file.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il