Re: DISPLAY variable not set in ssh session

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 10:35:51PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

>>> That was it.  I did
>>> 	aptitude install xauth
>>> and everything was fine.
>>>
>>> It looks like the xterm package needs to depend on the xauth package --
>>> or at least recommend it.
>>>
>>> What package should a bug report for this go to?
>>
>> Please don't. xterm works perfectly ok without it.
>
> Well then, please suggest a better place to send the bug report?  Or a
> better description of the problem...

openssh-server and openssh-client already suggest xbase-client (which
depends on xauth).  IMHO this is the strongest link there should be
between them, as I don't think xauth should be present "in all but the
most unusual setups" (definition of a recommend).

xterm should not even be discussed in this context as you can run ssh
with any terminal in the archive.

There was a discussion on debian-devel at one point to also provide a
reason for 'suggests', something like:

Suggests:
xbase-clients (usually needed for X forwarding)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)