Re: DISPLAY variable not set in ssh session
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: DISPLAY variable not set in ssh session
- From: Chris Bannister <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 22:12:11 +1300
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20080301091211.GD4979@box>
- In-reply-to: <1397149D-5135-4E0C-8F75-34A46C8795A5@pobox.com>
- References: <A265C94E-976C-4CDD-A940-9D7AB480BE9C@cs.rutgers.edu> <20080226195749.GV8028@pear.tzafrir.org.il> <1397149D-5135-4E0C-8F75-34A46C8795A5@pobox.com>
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 07:40:56PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Package: xterm
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 05:00:13AM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>> I just installed Lenny on a G4 Mac. I installed the "ssh" package on
>>> it. I can "ssh" to it just fine. But I can't get X11 forwarding to
>>> work. When I use "ssh -X" or "ssh -Y" (either option) the connection
>>> is made, but the DISPLAY variable is not being set.
>>> Anybody know why?
>> No. But using ssh -v might give some clues. One extra potential
>> the target box does not have (the utility) xauth on it.
> That was it. I did
> aptitude install xauth
> and everything was fine.
> It looks like the xterm package needs to depend on the xauth package --
> or at least recommend it.
> What package should a bug report for this go to?
Please don't. xterm works perfectly ok without it.