Re: Xorg.0.log on accessible gnome install attempt

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 19:31:07 -0600, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The most noticeable thing that happens with gdm running is I get to what
> sounds like a login screen and key in my user id then I've tried both
> with return and tab after that and key in my password and all gdm returns
> is an error beep.  If I hit control-alt-fx and usually f1 and drop to
> command line I can log in there just fine.  When I wrote about that
> problem earlier I was advised to disable gdm then run startx in order to
> access the gnome and x environment and that's how I generated the
> Xorg.0.log file.

I think the problem is that "startx" by default only starts a bare X
server without any window manager or client applications running. In
other words, you get an empty gray screen that is useless to you.

I think you have to create a suitable .xinitrc file in your home
directory to tell the X server that you want to run a Gnome session.
After you log in on the terminal, do this:

echo "/usr/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc

to create an xinitrc file that will launch gnome-session. Then run
"startx" again.

I don't use Gnome myself, therefore I am not 100% certain whether this
is really the best way to start a Gnome session via startx, but I think
it should work.

          Florian   |