Re: Tweaking /boot/grub/menu.lst to use 2GB RAM

Jochen Schulz wrote:
andy:

What is the best tweak to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file in order to
enable my kernel to recognise and utilise the additional RAM? Looking
through this file, the relevant section appears to be this commented
part:

  ## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
  ## e.g. memtest86=true
  ##      memtest86=false
  # memtest86=true

No, you have to look for the line beginning with '#kopt='. Edit, save,
update-grub.

J.

OK - but I guess what I am trying to clarify is what exactly is it that I am editing in the following section to obtain what I want?

    ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
    ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
    ##      kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
    ##      kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
    # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet

It is probably blindingly obvious to all except me, but I cannot see any option here for telling the kernel how much memory it is to load/recognise upon booting. That's what is stumping me.