Problem with KVM switch and Screen Res...

Greetings,
I am running Debian GNU/Linux ("etch" kernel 2.6.18-6-686) on a PC with
an NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT connected to a COMPAQ S710 Monitor.
I have just upgraded to the latest NVIDIA driver, using
"nvidia-installer".
It works fine, the only problem I having is when I introduce my trusty
KVM (Keyboard-Video-Mouse) switch, the thing that lets me swap between 2
PCs...

When I boot up with it connected, the Hardware Probe that checks the
capability of the Screen defaults back to 640x480, rather than 1280x1024
when the Monitor is plugged in directly; consequently I get a little
claustraphobic when trying to use it in this fashion...

Running Red Hat Linux 9, I could cheat by installing the OS with the
screen connected directly, then introduce the KVM into the loop after
the install and boot it up OK; Debian appears to be smarter and checks
it at boot time instead...

Is there a way to force the issue, and get X to start in 1280x1024 mode
with the KVM switch connected???

Thanking you, fcG.

--
Frank Charles Gallacher <franxg@bigpond.com>