Re: USB pendrive mobility (fat32)?

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> wrote:
> Vikki Roemer wrote:
>  > On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> wrote:
>  >>  DOS, and then Windows, allowed seeing only the active primary partition
>  >>  because it was the boot environment, and MS presumed that some other OS,
>  >>  that DOS was not compatible with, would reside on any other primary
>  >>  partitions (this is a theory on my part, but seems to fit the facts).
>  >
>  > Windows can see multiple partitions.  4 logicals, yadda ya, like
>  > Linux.  In fact, I've heard of setups where multiple partitions work
>  > better than one big one.  Starting with XP (I think) a separate
>  > partition for {\Windows\,\Program Files\} and {\Documents and
>  > Settings\, etc} is recommended.  I'd have to double-check at school,
>  > though.  (I only remember enough Windows stuff to pass tests, and then
>  > forget most of it afterwards.)  But anyway, the WinXP computers at
>  > school have multiple partitions.
>  >
>  > WinXP *does* seem to see thumbdrives weirdly, though.
>  >

>  One:  please direct your replies to the list, not me personally.
>  Because:  a) others may benefit from your comments; b) I subscribe to
>  the list and would prefer to get list related email through it.

I'm very sorry, I forgot that gmail doesn't automatically reply to the
list like I always did when I was using mutt.  I realized a few days
later and couldn't remember who the email was sent to.

>  Two:  You said "...4 logicals, yadda ya, ...", above.  The discussion
>  was not about logical partitions, it was about *primary* partitions.

I meant to say up to 4 *primaries* (or 3 primaries, 1 extended, and an
almost unlimited number of logicals).

--
Vikki Roemer

Registered Linux user #280021

"Sometimes the lights all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been."
            -- Grateful Dead, "Truckin'"