Re: USB pendrive mobility (fat32)?

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:51:00PM -0800, Bob McGowan wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, DOS/Windows recommends creating a single primary
> partition, with any extra space allocated to the extended partition

yes, but

> The difference is that, for Linux at least, it will also work with
> multiple primary partitions on a disk.

DOS can also happily use more than one (FAT16 and/or FAT12) primary dos
partition (on the same disk): I have pratically seen that (without
tricks such as hiding the type of the partition and so on) and a google
search will confirm that. (However, those multiple primary partitions
were not created by the official DOS fdisk; dos uses such multiple
partitions even when it was not the creator of them). The interesting
feature is that MS-DOS and DR-DOS give (under some usual circustances)
different drive letters to those extra primary partitions, which can be
useful in a DOS-multiboot system.

I suppose that freedos can both create and use such multiple primary
partitions, but the debian package dosemu-freedos does not contain a
fdisk executable.

I am also sure that *BSD can use such multiple `primary dos partitions'
aka slices (but some versions have problems with some kinds of multiple
slices each with a *BSD disklabel: at least some years ago it was not
possible to have FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD in triple boot in the obvious
way).