Re: GRUB 2 error

Tony van der Hoff wrote:
On 26 Feb at 12:36 Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] fq114o$om1$1@ger.gmane.org>

Huub wrote:
You did not make a rescue CD or Floppy?

I can boot into Rescue mode from DVD. I managed to restore a Fedora
machine by booting into Rescue mode from DVD, so I figure Debian can do
the same. Or not?

I only tried GRUB2 once and went back to GRUB because I could not get it
to boot. So in GRUB when I get those kind of errors, I boot with a GRUB
floppy or a GRUB CD and that always gets around it. But clearly that is
not an option if you do not have one of them.

Aside from those rescue methods, I use Knoppix and chroot into the
particular partition.

Movib=g further off-topic, I've never understood why people use GRUB. LILO
seems so much lighter weight to achieve the same effect.
Can anybody enlighten me?

Try booting from a USB drive in LILO: if the initrd.img is Debian's reading it will take close to a minute. Then boot with GRUB: it uses the filesystem to read the image and it will take seconds.

Was the reason I switched from LILO to GRUB.

Hugo