Re: (OT) Flashplayer observations w/Opera etc.

On Wednesday 27 of February 2008 20:57:22 Angus Auld wrote:
> --- Jean-Louis Crouzet <jeanlouis.crouzet@free.fr>
>
> wrote:
> > Angus Auld wrote:
> > > This are just my observations and experiences with
> > > Flash-player and Linux of late.
> > > I use my browsers to view a lot of Flash vids, and
> >
> > the
> >
> > > fact that many websites are using (over-using?)
> >
> > Flash
> >
> > > animations, etc. makes it quite important, at
> >
> > least to
> >
> > > me, that my browser be Flash-friendly.
> > > Adobe, in their wisdom, decided to only support
> >
> > gtk
> >
> > > browsers in their latest release, so that has left
> > > Opera (my browser of choice), pretty much out in
> >
> > the
> >
> > > cold, at least for Opera 9.2x versions and
> >
> > earlier.
> >
> > > Opera is trying to work around this in their
> >
> > 9.50Beta,
> >
> > > soon to be released.
> > > However, I have noted, the latest version of
> > > Flash-player does not seem to be playing well with
> > > Iceweasel either.
> > > It consistently causes Iceweasel to consume 80%+
> >
> > cpu
> >
> > > cycles when viewing Flash vids...sometimes upwards
> >
> > of
> >
> > > 100%!
> > > To me this is unacceptable. I have downgraded to
> >
> > an
> >
> > > earlier version of the plugin (9.0 r48), and
> >
> > things
> >
> > > are a bit better in terms of cpu usage and
> > > view-ability of videos.
> > >
> > > Anyone else noting this may want to consider
> > > downgrading Flash-player as well.
> > > I have tried various installations of the plugin
> >
> > using
> >
> > > Adobe's tar.gz, and binary .deb installs, without
> >
> > any
> >
> > > improvement.
> > >
> > > Best regards.
> >
> > You might have seen my memo with subject "Flash
> > Player 9 (9,0,115,0)
> > with Iceweasel or Firefox (& even konqueror)" a bit
> > above and also I
> > noticed the same type of CPU usage....
> >
> > JL
>
> Yes Jean, we seem to be experiencing similar problems
> with Flash Player 9,0,115,0.
> I too have had lock-ups where killing Opera or
> Iceweasel has been the only option. I am using
> Dreamlinux, a Debian Etch based distro with xfce4
> desktop.
> As far as I'm concerned, on my system, Flash Player 9
> in its latest version, is unusable.
> I thought I would give Opera 9.50 Beta a go, and check
> the performance of the latest Flash Player. Opera is
> working to try to get around the "gtk browsers only
> support" in there latest version. Well, it was not any
> better...high cpu consumption and occasional browser
> lockup.
> This is disappointing. Disabling Flash would really
> put a damper on my internet experience. :(
>
> Using the older FP 9.0 r48 is getting me by, for the
> [...]

Hi, i had this problem too. CPU usage 40-80%. But since i changed flash to
version 9.0 r48, CPU usage is in normal, about 2-3% and when youtube is
loaded and video is playing then 20-30%, and browser seems to be fast and
usable.

Thanks for hint :-)

Martin