Re: (OT) Flashplayer observations w/Opera etc.

--- Jean-Louis Crouzet <jeanlouis.crouzet@free.fr>
wrote:

> Angus Auld wrote:
> > This are just my observations and experiences with
> > Flash-player and Linux of late.
> > I use my browsers to view a lot of Flash vids, and
> the
> > fact that many websites are using (over-using?)
> Flash
> > animations, etc. makes it quite important, at
> least to
> > me, that my browser be Flash-friendly.
> > Adobe, in their wisdom, decided to only support
> gtk
> > browsers in their latest release, so that has left
> > Opera (my browser of choice), pretty much out in
> the
> > cold, at least for Opera 9.2x versions and
> earlier.
> > Opera is trying to work around this in their
> 9.50Beta,
> > soon to be released.
> > However, I have noted, the latest version of
> > Flash-player does not seem to be playing well with
> > Iceweasel either.
> > It consistently causes Iceweasel to consume 80%+
> cpu
> > cycles when viewing Flash vids...sometimes upwards
> of
> > 100%!
> > To me this is unacceptable. I have downgraded to
> an
> > earlier version of the plugin (9.0 r48), and
> things
> > are a bit better in terms of cpu usage and
> > view-ability of videos.
> >
> > Anyone else noting this may want to consider
> > downgrading Flash-player as well.
> > I have tried various installations of the plugin
> using
> > Adobe's tar.gz, and binary .deb installs, without
> any
> > improvement.
> >
> > Best regards.
> >
> You might have seen my memo with subject "Flash
> Player 9 (9,0,115,0)
> with Iceweasel or Firefox (& even konqueror)" a bit
> above and also I
> noticed the same type of CPU usage....
>
> JL
Yes Jean, we seem to be experiencing similar problems
with Flash Player 9,0,115,0.
I too have had lock-ups where killing Opera or
Iceweasel has been the only option. I am using
Dreamlinux, a Debian Etch based distro with xfce4
desktop.
As far as I'm concerned, on my system, Flash Player 9
in its latest version, is unusable.
I thought I would give Opera 9.50 Beta a go, and check
the performance of the latest Flash Player. Opera is
working to try to get around the "gtk browsers only
support" in there latest version. Well, it was not any
better...high cpu consumption and occasional browser
lockup.
This is disappointing. Disabling Flash would really
put a damper on my internet experience. :(

Using the older FP 9.0 r48 is getting me by, for the
time being at least.

Best regards.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
--
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931############

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs